Saturday, June 16, 2012

Charcoal Facial Soap

This post is about a couple soaps I have been planning for some time.  Yesterday, I made charcoal facial soap (not sure what I'm going to call it yet).  I have been wanting to make this soap for weeks, but I spent a lot of time researching ingredients that are beneficial for the face.  I have terrible skin issues with my face, so I kind of made this for myself too.  I put all kinds of moisturizing oils and butters in this soap, plus essential oils that have antiseptic properties (they smell amazing as well). In addition, it is colored using several clays and with lots of activated charcoal to draw out impurities in the skin. Oh, I also used aloe vera liquid in place of distilled water. In four weeks, I plan to try it out and share the results.  I ended up with some smaller bars as well, and a few mostly clay bars that are around 3.5 oz. each.





My other project for the week was mastering the rebatch.  French milled or rebatch soap is a technique that has alluded me thus far.  Part of the problem was that I had not invested in a double boiler, so I made a makeshift one out of a bowl and a sauce pan.  It didn't work out too well for me...  I ended up with soap that kind of resembled ground beef.  My family loved it because it smelled fantastic, but it definitely was not for public consumption.  

So armed with my double boiler (which I bought for this and making lotion), I decided I would finally master the rebatch. I used aloe vera liquid in it, so it should be nice and soothing.  This is the resulting soap.



I'm pretty happy with my work!  This soap seems really light, although each bar is 5 oz.  I will be curious to see how much the bars will weigh in a few weeks, after the water has cured out of the soap a bit.  

My soap making has slowed considerable since my kids are now home for Summer vacation.  We are trying to fill our days with fun activities and occasional outings and play dates.  I am already setting up craft shows for the Fall though!  Make sure you sign up for my new newsletter to find out when and where you can find me  (upper right hand corner)! 

3 comments:

  1. wow! Fantastic post. I am going to have to try these out!

    -Dani
    http://www.thepioneeringparent.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. activated charcoal uses is to remove toxin and chemicals in the event of ingestion. preventing the absorption in the body. active coal

    ReplyDelete