Monday, May 28, 2012

Exciting Move!

Well, I am actually only moving my office from upstairs to downstairs. Despite how anticlimactic that sounds, this is not only an exciting move for me, but for my oldest daughter and my entire family as well.

About five years ago, my now teenage daughter was rendered wheelchair bound by a devastating and degenerative disease called Rasmussen's Encelphalitis. When she was no longer able to climb the stairs, we had to move her room from upstairs to downstairs.  After having a hemispherectomy (where they remove/disconnect half the brain) over 3 years ago, she has slowly gained back her mobility and is now able to walk and climb stairs again!  Needless to say, I am extremely proud of her...but I am also super excited to have my downstairs office back.  I have been carting my soap gear up and downstairs as well as taking over my dining room with labeling mess.  It will be so nice to have everything accessible again and in one room!   Lucky for me Em finds it a bit creepy downstairs by herself at night. ;)

I wish my craft room would end up looking like this one (cue angels singing).

Source

A girl can dream!  Anyway, I will just have to be content with my most recent purchase, these photo boxes from IKEA, which I will of course be using to store soap.  They are really reasonably priced, all the same sized, and since I like storing my soap in breathable cardboard boxes, made from the perfect material.  I also like the fact that they have little removable tag labels on the front so I don't have to write all over the box.

I am going to be very busy over the next couple of weeks moving stuff up and down the stairs. I am determined to sneak some soaping time in there too! Hopefully I will also have a few pictures to share soon. :)


8 comments:

  1. That's great news!! My childhood friend's daughter had brain surgery to remove a portion of her brain for epilepsy a couple of years ago and has significantly reduced her seizures. Isn't it amazing what doctors can do these days?!?! I'm so happy for you and your family!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Colleen! The brain is an amazing thing. We are very fortunate to have some amazing doctors. We bought our surgeon some super hero socks because he is our super hero (and they don't allow capes in the operating room ;)). I'm so glad your friend's daughter is doing well too.

      Delete
  2. Wow! It's amazing how many people experience such difficulties in their lives yet preservere. Congratulations to your daughter for overcoming such a trying experience. I can see why you are proud. And congratulations to you for getting your craft room back. Sounds like you both deserve the change. Coincidentally, that's what I want my craft room to look like, too. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you Erica. I dream of being super organized like that too. :) I will keep working on it...

    ReplyDelete
  4. WOW!! That is GREAT news! Enjoy the moving and decorating!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Maryanne! I need to make a video for you soon. You should see Emily navigate the stairs. It is pretty impressive. She has also, on occasion, opted for taking the stairs instead of the elevator when we go to therapy (which is on the 3rd floor!). Yea Em!!

      Delete
  5. What wonderful news! I am so happy to hear that your daughter is doing better, that's amazing. And good luck on getting your office all organized!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Anne-Marie. You know it gets worse before it gets better. It kind of looks like an episode of hoarders in my house right now!

      Delete