Sunday, May 29, 2011

Soapy Weekend



We are having unseasonably cold and rainy weather here in Northern California.  I have to keep reminding myself that it is indeed the end of May.  So as it was raining yesterday, I had a sick child who just wanted to watch movies all day with her sisters by her side, and my husband was out of town, I decided to make some soap!  You'll have to forgive the dull photos in this post.  I don't get the best pictures on these overcast days.  I should get a lightbox set up one of these days, but I really love natural lighting, so I keep dragging my feet.

This first one is rose.  I haven't figured out what to call it yet.  The FO is called baby rose, but I'm not sure if that is what I want to go with. It is a really light and airy rose, not heavy and super floral, and although I have shied away from rosy florals in the past, I really like this one.  I guess that is one of the good things about waiting for soap to cure for 4 weeks, I have plenty of time to think about what to call it. Here is the cut soap.



I have been dying to try this swirling technique.  I know it will take some time to get it just right, but I am pretty happy with my first attempt.  This one is Meyer Lemon and I LOVE this fragrance.  It is sweet lemon that avoids smelling like pledge (I find a lot of lemon FO smell this way to me).



Both of these soaps will be cured and ready to list in the shop in four weeks.

I also made some shampoo bars for my personal use.  Several of the soap blogs that I follow have been trying them out.  I have been thinking about doing it myself for some time, but I was chicken to try it on my thick, course, colored hair.  Finally, after Cocobong posted this recipe and listed all the benefits of using a shampoo bar, I ran out of excuses and decided that I really want to try it out.  I also convinced my mom to try it with me, and since her hair is the complete opposite of mine, it will be interesting to compare how our hair ends up.  So in four weeks (after these bars cure) I will share my experience.  

Finally, although I actually made these first, I made some salt scrubs and bubble bars.  These are both going to take some time to perfect.  Of course I will share the final result when I reach it.

Whew!!  Yesterday was a busy day.  I think I am going to make one more soap today and spend some time with the family.  In a couple weeks, I am going to be selling soap and gifts at the Downtown Tuesday Night Market in Roseville on Vernon Street from 5-9pm.  I hope I will see some familiar faces there.  If it is successful, I will be spending most Tuesday nights there until the end of July.

***Update***
Here is my soap from yesterday: Cherry Blossom.


9 comments:

  1. Your soaps turned out so great! I love the look of the rose one especially. Yep, those shampoo bars are definitely giving me a run for my money, but I think I may have FINALLY turned a corner. Kudos to you for making a cold-processed bar - once I made up my mind to do it, I had to HP!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Amy. I went a little crazy this weekend. I have another one gelling right now! I am very excited (and a little nervous) to try the shampoo bars too. I have been following your posts about it. Luckily the kids will be out of school when I try it and I can hide if my hair turns into a grease ball. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. They are both just beautiful. The rose soap is spot on-I think I can smell it from here! :D

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you! I am still trying to think up a name for that one... :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. All your soaps look wonderful.

    Michelle (formerly Splurge Sisters)

    ReplyDelete
  6. The rose is beautiful! And OMG I love the Cherry Blossom! It looks like a sunset with a cloud on top. Super cute!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks! My daughter said the same thing about the sunset. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Lovely Soap´s!
    Have a nice and bless week-end!
    Claudia

    ReplyDelete