Monday, November 15, 2010

Felted Rodents (Squeak!)

I love making gifts for my friends and family.  Last year I made a good portion of the Christmas gifts.  I plan to make most of my Christmas gifts this year as well, so I thought I would try to share most of them here (and I promise... not all of them are soap!).

I have shared in the past that my younger children have a rodent fixation.  They also love anything and everything in miniature.  Last year I decided to felt them little rodents (guinea pigs and mice specifically).  They were fairly easy to do if you have the right felting materials. Each guinea pig is about 1" long and the mice are about 2".  The mice are made entirely out of wool roving. The eyes are made with seed beads and I used embroidery thread for the whiskers and paws.  This one has his tail curled up on his back (although it makes him look a little bit like a hunchback in this picture).


The guinea pigs presented a problem.  How was I going to make their little feet?  I tried to use wool, but they looked really funny, so I made some little feet out of Fimo clay and glued them on with fabric glue.  I've seen other felted animals that are a lot smoother than mine, but the girls love them.  That's all that really matters.



This one is my favorite

This will not be the last rodent DIY.  Later in the week I will show you the rodent picnic I made for the girls out of Fimo clay.  You'll love it!

2 comments:

  1. Oh. My. Goodness. These are SO cute! Love love love. You did a fantastic job with these. Your friends are sooooo lucky to get these cute little guys.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Anne-Marie. I am always on the lookout for little rodent things to make. These are pretty fun.

    ReplyDelete