Thursday, July 29, 2010

Wheelchair Armrest Covers

I did this project a while ago, but didn't get a chance to post it.  My daughter Emily has had this wheelchair for some time and the armrests were looking really ripped and worn.  My mom got this oil cloth for me and I was really happy with the result.  It is also much more exciting than the black it came with!
















It was a really simple process.  After removing the armrests, I cut the material and stapled along the length of the armrest.


















Staple around the ends, pulling the fabric as tightly as possible to minimize puckering. The ends were more difficult, especially since the armrests are so narrow at the ends, but this would be much easier on a chair or something larger.















Finally, I cut the excess material and I screwed it back onto the wheelchair.  It was as easy as that!  Although I did this on a wheelchair, it would be the same basic concept if recovering a chair. 


















 I am going to do my kitchen chairs next time. Oilcloth is so easy to clean up.  Although I probably won't use this bright pink fabric. It is pretty though, isn't it?

No comments:

Post a Comment